Friday, April 3, 2009

ASTHETIC REBELS AND REBELLIOUS CLOWNS


Doesn't the title Just grab you. I read that title, and I am interested in reading on.

This reading is from "Film as Subversive Art" as well, by Amos Vogel. This can be downloaded from the yousendit site as well.
https://download.yousendit.com/TTZtWUhxeFgwZ2wzZUE9PQ

I have decided to "make visible" my process of reading text. The attempt to read any text with the intention of thoroughly understanding it on a single read is foolhardy. It is like *insert creative analogy here*.

Here I am employing the strategy of simply scanning the reading for the ideas/words that I find interesting. Not everything in this reading do I understand. There are MANY references I am unfamiliar with - yet I am able to read through the entire thing at a decent clip, quickly extracting that which I find interesting. This in itself is a form of analysis - and therefore has value, or does it?

An assignemnt given will be to do this exact thing. A reading, decided by the group, or by me will be assigned. The assignment will be to go through a reading, and highlight the ideas/themes that interest you, without worrying about understanding, just highlight your interests. (there are ideas of hierarchy here - also think of it in the context of playing with relationships. by highlighting certain words and sentences, we are extracting information from the "white noise" (discussed in a different post.) and once again, this is the same process we are engaged with our research at the scale of the neighborhood - through this research we are "highlighing" things in the neighborhood that may not relate in terms of spacial location, but relate some other "unseen" way.

We will then take everyone's reading and "stack" all the highlights one on top of another, and by giving the highlights transparency, and overlapping them, a greater understanding of the interests of the class will emerge. It will will also make a pretty cool diagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment